Willem C. Vis Moot International Commercial Moot Arbitration Tribunal is one of the highest level moot tribunal competitions in the world. As it attracts excellent teams from all over the world to participate every year, it has higher requirements on the professional ability, team cooperation ability, and legal retrieval and court defense skills for the participating teams and players. The competition is divided into two parts: writing complaints in English and making oral debates in court. The participants will get practice in international trade law, international commercial arbitration, legal English and legal argumentation. Lawyers around the world have been invited to hold the post of judges and arbitrators for a long time. In recent years, more and more top Chinese and international law firms have begun to pay attention to and sponsor the competition.
In recent years, Beijing Normal University's representative team has stood out from the competition, winning the first prize (6th place in the country) of the 2017 Willem C. Vis China Competition and the honorary award of the best arbitration application in 2019 Willem C. Vis Hong Kong Competition (top 25 out of 137 teams). The team is one of the only two mainland teams to win a single award in this competition. Best wishes to the Beijing Normal University’s team for better results in this year.
The selection information of 2019-2020 Beijing Normal University's vis moot representative team is hereby announced as follows:
I. Qualifications for Selection
1. All the undergraduate and graduate students studying in the Law School of Beijing Normal University.
2. Someone who has a certain interest in the field of international trade law and international commercial arbitration;
3. Good command of English and excellent learning ability;
4. Someone who ensure sufficient time to participate in the preparation of the moot court between July 2019 and mid-April 2020;
5. Someone who is serious, confident and stress-resistant, prepared for high-intensity training and research of the competition and has a sense of teamwork and sacrifice.
6. Answers to written examination and oral statements must be completed independently. It is strictly prohibited to copy any existing materials from the previous competitions. If found, immediately cancel the interview or qualification.
II. Registration Method: Sending Resume + Answers to Written Examination Questions
1. Deadline: May 11, 24: 00
2. Submission: (1) Personal resume (2) Answers to written examination questions
3. Address of submission: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mail naming method: name+ class. Please name your resume and answers to written examination questions "resume/answers to written examination questions+ name+ class" at the same time and send them separately in the form of email attachments.
4. Resume requirements:
Resumes should include proof of English proficiency, comprehensive scores and rankings in school, and other information that can prove your English listening, speaking, reading, and writing abilities and learning ability.
5. Written examination requirements:
Carefully read the 26th competition questions (downloaded in appendix 1) and choose one of the three issues (a/b/c/) listed in paragraph III (1) of Procedural Order No 1 on pages 52 to 53 of the questions. Conduct the research from the perspective of the Claimant or Respondent and briefly write memorandum. The writing content includes: (1) the outline of the issue (2) the discussion of each argument under the outline. There is no limit to the number of words.
III. Interview and Selection
Take 8-10 minutes to make an oral statement in English to the interviewer from the perspective of the Claimant or Respondent (corresponding to the position you choose in the written examination), and answer the interviewer's questions. The list of people entering the interview and the time and place of the interview will be notified by mail. The interview will be conducted within one week after the applicant submits the resume information.
Attachment: Competition Questions and Reference Data
1. 26th competition questions and data to assist in understanding competition questions: https://pan.bnu.edu.cn/l/R092sN
2. Related course of Vismoot Competition: https://pan.bnu.edu.cn/l/DuU6iv
3. Related legal reference data of Vismood Competition https://pan.bnu.edu.cn/l/KnHziG
4. Recording about lessons for Vismoot competition：https://pan.bnu.edu.cn/l/NHfFpU
5. Vismoot official website：https://vismoot.pace.edu/
6. CISG(Law on Substantive Issues) database：http://www.cisg.law.pace.edu/
7. Unilex database：http://www.unilex.info/dynasite.cfm?dssid=2375&dsmid=14276
8. Kluwer Arbitration (Law on Procedural Issues) Database：http://www.kluwerarbitration.com/ （CN (Campus Network) IP is needed）
9. Reference video of oral debate in previous competitions：https://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTYyMzMyODgw.html?spm=a2h0k.8191407.0.0&from=s1.8-1-1.2